the late 1890's, the New Orange Industrial Association purchased
some farms in portions of Cranford and Union and divided them
into building lots. The lots were sold through illustrated brochures
that pictured beautiful parks, lakes, an opera house, and yacht
clubs, which existed only in the promoter's imaginations.
Industrial Association brought in several large industries
and lured Upsala College
from Brooklyn with a gift of free land for its campus.
New Orange was often confused with one of the Essex County
Oranges, the community adopted the name Kenilworth when it
was created as a borough in 1907.